Academic writing has been dominated by antiquated ‘legacy’ systems requiring students and faculty to manually integrate a range of software solutions. MS Word is 22 years old, bibliographic tools all work the same and lack the breadth and depth to format correctly (e.g., endnote is 17 years old, and CSL lacks detail to format a range of resources correctly). Today’s users demand modern tools and features (e.g., something actually engineered for the cloud).
ComWriter is a new breed, cloud-based, writing tool specifically designed for academic work:
- Store all your research material in your personal library enabling users to cite resources without having to manage interfaces between applications
- Simply select a Style to format all your references AND text, automatically. You can forget formatting entirely!
- Write projects in a structured way without having to be plagued by clumsy tools and constant formatting issues
- Export your project and let the computer do all the formatting automatically
It’s about time we had some software purpose-built for academic work!
Academic writing is good writing practice, but it is often misunderstood. The process is not sequential, but organic, and generally involves:
- searching for relevant literature; today via library databases
- designing research projects, especially, identifying the methodological approach; e.g., observation, capturing data, interviewing, examining specimens
- conducting research activities
- collaborating with peers (students, academics, industry peers) and supervisors
- examining research findings
- organising literature, methodology, and research findings to present a discussion of the research (in a thesis or paper)
- as a student: submitting work for examination
- as a research student: publishing work at conferences or in the press (e.g., journal articles), and submitting the thesis for examination
- as an academic: publishing work at conferences or in the press (e.g., journal articles)
Academic writing is difficult, and made more so because of the disparate, fragmented tools and old technology supporting the writing pipeline. The technology that supports the academic writing process is disparate, fragmented, and is, generally speaking, left to the independent researcher to organize. Thus, a significant amount of a researchers time is spent organising data and findings rather than actually researching and presenting their findings.ComWriter is the only writing platform designed for academic work. It will send the archaic concept of ‘word processor‘ straight to the trash where it belongs. ComWriter includes: an on-line library, fully-featured referencing capabilities, a personal resources database, modern writing tools, collaboration in the cloud, task management, smart lists and pre-defined style guides. Writing to academic standards has never been so efficient and easy. Students, academics and business people will finally be able to work smarter with ComWriter. We have more than 25 Universities on three continents already signed up for beta testing.